1. Which of the following words does not belong with the others and why?
2. You’re riding a horse. To the right of you is a cliff and in front of you is an elephant moving at the same pace and you can’t overtake it. To the left of you is a hippo running at the same speed and a lion is chasing you. How do you get to safety?
3. A woman has incontrovertible proof in court that her husband was murdered by her sister. Both the woman and her sister are before the Judge. The judge declares, “This is the strangest case I’ve ever seen. Though it’s a cut-and-dried case, this woman before me cannot be punished.” How can this possibly be?
4. There is an ancient invention still used in some parts of the world today that allows people to see through walls. What is it?
5. You’re in a room with two doors. There’s a guard at each door. One door is the exit, but behind the other door is something that will kill you. You’re told that one guard always tells the truth and the other guard always lies. You don’t know which guard is which. You are allowed to ask one question to either of the guards to determine which door is the exit. What question should you ask?
6. Tom and Joe went to a movie. There were many other people there. During a quiet scene, Tom drew a gun. Joe screamed, “Don’t shoot!” but Tom shot him. Tom then left. Many people saw Tom leave and they restrained him. The police arrived and quickly released Tom. Why?
7. . It was a dark stormy night and a couple were in a car racing madly through a foreign city. The car broke down and the husband had to go get help from someone who spoke his language. He was afraid to leave his wife alone in the car so he pulled up the windows and locked the car before leaving. When he came back, the car was in the same state as he had left it but his wife was dead, there was blood on the floor and there was a stranger in the car. What happened?
8. How far can a dog run into the forest?
9. Susan watched as her husband boarded the 8:15 p.m. Air Canada flight from Toronto to Chicago. She then drove home from the airport and proceeded to watch a movie. About one hour into the movie there was a news flash; the 8:15 p.m. Air Canada flight from Toronto to Chicago had crashed with no survivors. Susan did not react. She just continued to watch the movie. How come?
10. Five pieces of coal, a carrot and a scarf are lying on a hill near a remote house. Nobody put them on the lawn but there is a perfectly logical reason why they should be there. What is it?