1. Which word from Group B belongs with the words from Group A and why?
A) PAPER, BLAST, BANK, BOX
B) JUICE, BAG, CRADLE, CARPET
2. Using one set of letters in the same order, can you fill in the blanks and make a normal sentence?
A _o_a_l_ doctor had _o _a_l_ and therefore, was _o_ a_l_ to operate.
3. A man is looking at a picture of a man on the wall and states: Brothers and sisters I have none, but this man’s father is my father’s son. Who is the man in the picture in relation to the man looking at the picture?
4. In wartime, an army had to cross a wide river. There were no boats and only one bridge, which was very narrow. Crossing the bridge would have made them sitting ducks for enemy gunfire. How did the entire army cross the river in relative safety?
5. A man walks into a bar and asks for a drink of water. The bartender gives the man a drink of water, but the man says the water is no good. The bartender thinks for a minute, pulls out a gun and points it at him. The man says, “Thank you,” and walks out.
6. While digging a garden, a woman unearthed a large metal box filled with money and jewelry. For seven years she spent none of the money and told no one what she had found. Then she suddenly bought a new house, a new car, and a fur coat. How come?
7. . There was once a recluse who never left his home. The only time anyone ever visited him was when his food and supplies were delivered, but they never came inside. Then, one storm winter night when an icy gale was blowing, he had a nervous breakdown. He went upstairs, turned off all the lights and went to bed. Next morning, he had caused the deaths of several hundred people. How?
8. A wise king devised a contest to see who would receive the Princess’ hand in marriage. The Princess was put in a 50 x 50 foot carpeted room. Each of her four suitors were put in one corner of the room with a small box to stand on. The first one to touch the Princess’ hand would be the winner and become the new King.
The rules were the contestants could not walk over the carpet, cross the plane of the carpet, or hang from anything; nor could they use anything but their body and wits (i.e. no magic, telepathy, nor any items such as ladders, block and tackles etc). One suitor figured out a way and married the Princess and became the new King. What did he do?
9. Two guards were on duty outside a barracks. One faced up the road to watch for anyone approaching from the North. The other looked down the road to see if anyone approached from the South. Suddenly one of them said to the other, “Why are you smiling?”How did he know his companion was smiling?
10. Not far from Madrid, there is a large wooden barn. The barn is completely empty except for a dead man hanging from the middle of the central rafter. The rope around his neck is ten feet long and his feet are three feet off the ground. The nearest wall is 20 feet away from the man. There is a puddle of water nearby. It is not possible to climb up the walls or along the rafters. The man hanged himself. How did he do it?