1. An 18-wheeler is crossing a 4 kilometer bridge that can only support 10,000 kilograms and that’s exactly how much the rig weighs. Halfway across the bridge a 30 gram sparrow lands on the cab, but the bridge doesn’t collapse. Why not?
2. Let us agree that at the North Pole it is impossible to look north and at the South Pole it is impossible to look south. Then, where in the world would you be if you could look north and south but could not look east or west?
3. A completely black dog was strolling down Main street during a total blackout affecting the entire town. Not a single streetlight had been on for hours. As the dog crosses the center of the road a Ford with 2 broken headlights speeds towards it, but manages to swerve out of the way just in time. How could the driver see the dog to swerve in time?
4. A blind beggar had a brother who died. What relation was the blind beggar to the brother who died? (“Brother” is not the answer.)
5. Three cannibals and three anthropologists have to cross a river.
The boat they have is only big enough for two people. The cannibals will do as requested, even if they are on the other side of the river, with one exception. If at any point in time there are more cannibals on one side of the river than anthropologists, the cannibals will eat them.
What plan can the anthropologists use for crossing the river so they don’t get eaten?
Note: One anthropologist cannot control two cannibals on land, nor can one anthropologist on land control two cannibals on the boat if they are all on the same side of the river. This means an anthropologist will not survive being rowed across the river by a cannibal if there is one cannibal on the other side.
6. Picture a ship at anchor. Over the side hangs a rope ladder with half a meter rungs. The tide rises a half meter per hour. At the end of five hours, how much of the ladder will remain above the water assuming the nine rungs were above water when the tide began to rise?
7. In a small cabin in the woods, two men lay dead. The cabin itself is not burned, but the forest all around is burned to cinders. How did the men die?
8. A police officer saw a truck driver clearly going the wrong way down a one-way street, but did not try to stop him. Why not?
9. A woman opened her own clothing store called “The Wrap”. She wasn’t sure about pricing certain items so she devised her own method. At “The Wrap” a vest costs $20, socks cost $25, a tie costs $15 and a blouse costs $30. Using the woman’s pricing scheme, how much would a pair of underwear cost?
10. You are trapped in a room with two doors. One leads to certain death and the other leads to freedom. You don’t know which is which.
There are two robots guarding the doors. They will let you choose one door but upon doing so you must go through it.
You can, however, ask one robot one question. The problem is one robot always tells the truth ,the other always lies and you don’t know which is which.
What is the question you ask?